Posterior Cruciate Ligament PCL

Attachments
The PCL courses from the lateral aspects of themeial femoral condyle to the posterior tibial spine (35).

Structure
The PCL is divided into two bundles, a larger anterolaeral bundle and smaller posteromedial band. The ALB represents approximately 95% of the total PCL, whereas the PMB represents the remaining 5%. The ALB is tight in flexion and the PMB becomes taught with extension (36)

Function
Primary restraint to posterior translation of the tibia on the femur. With loss of the PCL, posterior translation of the tibia on the femur is greatest between 70 and 90 degrees of knee flexion. This is due to the secondary restraints (Posterolateral capsule, popliteus, and MCL) being lax in this range (38). The PCL is most taught in flexion and provides secondary restraint to varus and valgus forces at the knee

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License